Founded in 1823 after the Toverberg mission station was closed in 1818 and Dr John Philip, superintendent of South Africa, wanted a mission station in the area, making it the oldest town in the Free State.After the mission station Toverberg was closed in 1818, Dr John Phillip, superindent of
South Africa, gave his name to this new missionary outpost in 1823, making it the Free State's oldest town.
Adam Kok, a Griqua leader, settled here with his people in 1826, and was established as a protector of the mission. When the government of the Orange Free State agreed to sell the land to Britain for 400 pounds, Kok left with his people, and migrated 500km to Griqualand east.
Mixed farming is the town's principal industry.
Philippolis is a town rich in history: Bushman, Griqua, Englishmen, Boer and Jew - each one of them made sure to leave their mark.
The Transgariep Museum
The museum exhibitions portray the Griqua history, Emily Hobhouse’s Spinning and Weaving Schools, a horse mill and an open-air oven.
Adam Kok House
Home of the famouse Griqua leader.
Dutch Reformed Church
A elegant church, whose pulpit is hand-carved from wild olive wood.
Located on a hillock behind the Transgariep Museum are two cannons once used for the defence of the Griqua people by Adam Kok.
A historical former horsedriven mill.
Van der Post Memorial Garden
Laurens Jan van der Post – born in Philippolis, December 13, 1906, the thirteenth of fifteen children - led an extraordinary and eventful life and one of great significance for our time; both in peacetime and in war.
Van der Post’s relatives believed that no other place on earth was better suited as the final resting place for him than Philippolis.