History and Overview of Edenburg
Edenburg/Ha-Rasebei serves as a general agriculture service centre within the Kopanong Municipality and is situated approximately 39 km north of Trompsburg. Access to the town is gained from the R717 route between Trompsburg and Reddersburg.
Social and economic functions
The main social and economic functions of the town include (a) general agricultural service centre to surrounding farming areas, (b) social functions such as residence, education and medical services, and (c) transport support services on major route. An established mining company, Paddy‟s Pad 1183 (Pty) Ltd, has applied for a mining license to establish an open groove uranium mine about 10 km from Edenburg and about 3 km from the N1. It is envisaged that the mine could produce 500 to 1000 tons of uranium on a daily basis for a period of 8 to 10 years.
HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE
Edenburg was founded on 24 February 1862 when the farm Rietfontein was purchased to build a church. The first application for recognition as a town was turned down by the Volksraad, but proclamation was eventually granted on 4 March 1863. The origin of the name is unclear. The most likely explanation is that it is a reference to the Garden of Eden of the Bible. However, there are those who believe that it is an Afrikaans version of Edinburgh in Scotland.
Berliner Missionary Station: The oldest of its kind in the Free State, located 16km north of the town. Voortrekker Graves: At the Dutch Reformed Church are these 19th century Voortrekker graves. Postal Coach Tracks: Dating back to 21 February 1952. Town Hall: Has been declared a National Monument.