History and Overview of Trompsburg
Trompsburg/Madikgetla serves as the regional administrative seat within Kopanong. The town is situated approximately 108 km south of Bloemfontein. Access to the town is via the N1 between Bloemfontein and Colesberg.
Social and economic functions
The main social and economic functions of the town include: (a) main local municipal administrative centre, (b) regional agricultural services centre, (c) regional social centre for health services, (d) social functions such as residence, education and social development services, and (e) transport support services on major route.
When the railway from the south reached this area in 1891, Trompsburg was laid out on the farm Middelwater which belonged to Jan and Bastiaan Tromp. Initially the town was known as Jagersfontein Road, before the branch railway was built from Springfontein to Koffiefontein via Jagersfontein. Later it was named Hamilton after Sir Hamilton J. Goold-Adams, governor of the Orange River Colony from 1902 to 1910. Still later the name was changed to Trompsburg in honour of the owners of the farm. The town was granted municipal status in 1902.
Arts and crafts
Arts and crafts; includes; woodwork, needlework, soap and paper sculptures.
HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE
Boomplaas Battlefield: The Boomplaas Battlefield site is situated some 24 km north-west of the town, along the Jagersfontein Road. Great Trek Centenary: An obelisk in the main street commemorates the centenary celebrations of the Voortrekker Great Trek that took place in 1838. Shearing Barn: The country’s second largest shearing barn is situated near town.Scale-model firearms: Meticulous scale models of historical firearms, made by Gert Steyn, can be seen on the farm Boesmansfontein. Stone Wall: An 11-km stone wall built by hand, can be seen in the vicinity of town.